Job Description – Requisition
JOB Title: Design Engineer
Work in a fast growing, exciting, and dynamic company (www.atadllc.com) applying a wide range of engineering skills and disciplines. Work alongside team members with 30 to 40 years of aerospace experience many having been a part of developing over 50% of today’s GA aircraft fleet. This job provides impressive opportunities to learn and apply new skills in engineering, design, manufacturability, maintainability, CNC programming, and more. Projects vary in scope, complexity, discipline, duration, and locations. Work may provide growth into Junior Engineer, Assistant Project Engineer, Manufacturing Manager, or QA Manager.
Responsible for design and development of aircraft systems, structures, interiors, test articles, and tooling for aircraft projects. Work may cover a wide range of products for new and existing aircraft, including but limited to 14 CFR Part 23, 25, 27, 29 and experimental aircraft projects. May also support various military and special mission projects. May work onsite with customer to reverse engineer or design solutions with hands on approach to finding solutions.
Perform aircraft, systems, and structural design and engineering. Coordination of tooling fabrication, parts fabrication, and shop liaison when needed. Support physical testing where needed. May work in shop building tooling and/or parts. May work with both design and fabrication software and tools, including 3 to 5-axis CNC mills. Specific tasks may involve:
- Structures, component, system, and installation design and engineering starting with initial concepts through part fabrication, assembly, and aircraft installation in some cases.
- Work may include the full product life cycle and support.
- Utilize industry standards, methods, and techniques to completed design work.
- Occasional physical laboratory testing and verification of system performance.
- Create CAD models, drawings, reports. Documentation may include procedural and standard work instructions, fabrication instructions, manuals and supplements as needed for product introduction and maintaining in an airworthy condition by maintenance personnel.
- Support research and development of new products or designs as needed.
Responsible for performing assignments in specialized fields of aerospace and mechanical engineering, working under the oversite and guidance of engineers and project engineers. Position requires frequent contact with personnel in engineering, manufacturing, supply chain, QA and outside suppliers. Travel to customer sites/facilities, test facilities, and flight-testing locations may be required.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Minimum of an AS in drafting & design or equivalent. BSAE or BSME (or higher) education is helpful. Position requires sound understanding and application of design standards and tools, ability to learn & apply fundamental standards relating to aircraft structures, mechanical systems; propulsion, fuel system, flight controls, hydraulics, icing, air conditioning/environmental control, landing gear and their electrical interface. Requires strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Due to some of our work related to ITAR, at this time we can only accept US citizens or Green Card holders.
- Requires motivated self-starter, good verbal and written communication skills, ability to coordinate and resolve issues with other designers, engineering groups, QA, manufacturing, and suppliers.
- Time management skills are required to work multiple concurrent projects of various size and scope.
- Must possess a solid proficiency with existing industry standards for design, hardware, materials, etc.
- SolidWorks experience is required. CATIA V5 experience is helpful.
- Experience in manufacturing, A&P mechanic, fabrication, pilot, etc. is helpful.
- A solid understanding of drafting standards is required.
- Strong writing skills preferred.
This position will be primarily located in Grass Lake & Ann Arbor Michigan (and surrounding area).
Pay grade will be commensurate with experience/education. Some working remote may be permitted for the responsible candidate.